Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Ever since I started a higher dose of Zoloft (generic 300mg)

Customer Question

Ever since I started a higher dose of Zoloft (generic 300mg) I have felt indifferent with my live-in boyfriend. Not just sexually but emotionally as well. My question is whether it is possible to love someone and have Zoloft not let you feel it, or if it could be that now that I am not so anxious/depressed I realized the relationship is not that great? Help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
Zoloft sometimes has the effect of dulling emotions (and killing sex drive). People just fell emotionally blunted and don't experience the range of emotions as before, unfortunately, it can cut both positive and negative emotions.
I cannot speak to quality of relationship, but I would sure give it benefit of doubt until meds are stable.
I would encourage you to talk to doctor to try to find the minimum effective dose of Zoloft, and perhaps add a small about of something like Wellbutrin, which sometimes helps with sexual side effects and emotional constriction.

Hope that is of help.