Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

basically, some of my family live in a very rural area in bangladesh,

Customer Question

basically, some of my family live in a very rural area in bangladesh, i went there to visit a few months ago and one of my aunties there i believe has a mental disorder... as education and access to healthcare is very limited and very costly they took her to a doctor im assuming a GP, and not a specialist in this field.. and the doctor couldn't find much and referred them to a specialist.. but it was very very costly for them.. the family then brushed it off as her being possessed?? errmm yes. i think there was an endogenous reaction in which she reacted to and this triggered off her unusual behaviour. she basically got married (arranged) and she leftto go live with the family of the husband she got married to, she was very attached to her family and friends in her village and when she left she was greatly depressed and not at peace, from having very limited communication with friends and family in her village. this behaviour came to place a week or 2 after she got married and moved away..

she would scream and shout things to people who was looking at her, would say they wanted to kill her, had bizarre assumptions about people and situations (claiming some things are going to happen to her and people around her), her in laws brought her back being concerned to her parents after which she went on top of the roof and jumped off trying to kill herself (she apparently didnt contemplate and just jumped-luckily she got to the hospital in time), she always sits on her own and talks to herelf and randomly in her sleep would get up and start shouting as if it were directed to someone in the room, pointing-but there is no one there?
if you try and talk to her, shed say a few sentences and reply back and then walk away talking to herself. she is very disorganised, her family do everything for her, she can do basic things as getting a glass of water and eating, but as for dresing properly, her family have to do that.

she has had this for about 15 years to which i am suprised, i never knew, but now knowing this i want to help and i want to understand this, as i will be returning there later this year, and pay for her treatment as back there they cannot.

with the information i have given.. can anyone think of what this may be? im thinking a severe case of schizophrenia?? i don't know much about this, just want to get a good grasp of this situation.

thank you for your help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

Hi dinar,

It does sound like a classic case of untreated schizophrenia. Medication does well with this illness if the patient will take it, and it can help eliminate the audio hallucinations she's having. Let me get you some info on it. Best to you for helping her out.

You can follow that link and read about the different types of schizophrenia. When you visit her, you can print out this information to take to the doctor.

If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting. I appreciate this opportunity to help you out today. If I can be of further service to you, just put "for Anna" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it.