Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I am currently taking 60mg of Cymbalta for anxiety and depression

I am currently taking 60mg of Cymbalta for anxiety and depression and my doctor recently added Deplin to be taken with the Cymbalta. What is the purpose of the Deplin, and what should I expect once I have been on the combo for a week or so?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome,
Actually deplin is a form of folic acid given in combination with the cymbalta because it has been shown to improve depressive symptoms. It is basically a chemical that helps some depressed patients who are already on antidepressants. Interestingly though it is not considered a drug, it's a drug "food". It works along with the antidepressant and patients do see improvement in their symptoms. It should take about two weeks to kick in although some patients have seen an immediate difference.
If you want to read a good review of this "food" here is a link:
Please click accept and leave feedback.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok if this is folic acid. then why is it a prescription product.? Could I get the same results from buying a folic acid over the counter? I would love to see this work and it is better than increasing my dosage I tend to have more trouble during the holidays and the grim months of January and February.....Would just like to save some money if after this first bottle I could go to a over the counter folic acid.
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi, you may get the most of the expected results but it's not clear whether you would get the entire benefit. Folate is converted through many steps into it's chemical form; l-methyltetrahydrofolate or the drug deplin . However, studies done has shown that supplementing with deplin is a more direct and reliable way of getting what you need.
Basically, folate alone is good enough, but it is still not known whether or not the steps taken to make the folate into deplin would give the same results as taking folic acid . You could probably try it IF your doctor approves it but to be safe I would suggest you try the deplin first, you have nothing to lose and could feel better! If the winter dreary months and the holidays make you feel worse a few months of therapy may help you get through it. Medication is good but therapy with medication may be more effective.
Please click accept and leave feedback. Thanks.