Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.

i was in a bad car crash and wasunable to walk for about 4

i was in a bad car crash and wasunable to walk for about 4 months and develped depression anxiety and mood swings but most of all a magor lack of energy all i do is sit around or sleep i have had blood work done that came back good i have been on may drugs like seroquel this just made me sleep more celexa with abilify this helped the most out of them all but i gained 40 lbs in 3 months now i am on pristiq it helps a little but not enough i still have no energy and anxiety i have been n other drugs too but i cant think of them all can you help me with what to say to my doctor to get me the right kind of drug thank you for your help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer- thanks for visitingJA.

I note that your pristiq is helping a little, and that in itself is something. However, there are a few issues I'd like to c to consider.

First of all, I think you should be asking your Doctor if he is treating you purely for depression, or if he/she thinks you may be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress disorder related to your accident.

If you are totally familiar with PTSD, my apologies. If not, please have a look here:

Secondly, try to ensure that you get enough physical exercise - that can really help.

Finally, and perhaps most important - in cases like yours, medication alone is often not the complete answer.

I’m going to suggest that you would benefit greatly from a course of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It is a form of therapy that addresses problems in a direct and targeted way and is brief compared with most other therapies.

CBT is based on the fact that what we think in any given situation generates beliefs about, and reactions to that situation, and also cause the behaviour and feelings which flow from those beliefs and reactions.

These ‘automatic thoughts’ are so fast that generally, we are unaware that we have even had them. We call them ANTS (automatic negative thoughts) for short.

If the pattern of thinking we use, or our beliefs about our situation are even slightly distorted, the resulting emotions and actions that flow from them can be extremely negative and unhelpful. The object of CBT is to identify these ‘automatic thoughts’ then to re-adjust our thoughts and beliefs so that they are entirely realistic and correspond to the realities of our lives, and that therefore, the resulting emotions, feelings and actions we have will be more useful and helpful.

Cognitive therapists do not usually interpret or seek for unconscious motivations but bring cognitions and beliefs into the current focus of attention and through guided discovery encourage clients to gently re-evaluate their thinking.

Therapy is not seen as something “done to” the client. CBT is not about trying to prove a client wrong and the therapist right, or getting into unhelpful debates. Through collaboration, questioning and re-evaluating their views, clients come to see for themselves that there are alternatives and that they can change.

Clients try things out in between therapy sessions, putting what has been learned into practice, learning how therapy translates into real life improvement.

Please visit this website for much more detailed information on CBT:

Best regards,