Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
15682972

My 30 yr old son has been depressed since his early 20s

My 30 yr old son has been depressed since his early 20's when he left home to make it in graph. design in LA He had super yrs.& bad years until lately when his clients folded with the economy & his ego, We found out he was self medicating with alcohol. He hid this & his depression from us.. After going to school there for an advanced degree with a 3.89, he has had to come home which made his depression worse.

He finally explained he drank because he was depressed (he still is) & it took us 3 yrs. for him to finally actually WANT to talk to someone. He does not drink now. We took him to a top 200 psychiatrist who won't to talk to him until he goes to alcohol rehab or AA which he already tried. He hates group therapy and is now earily (sp.) stoic and "calm" & more depressed. Now He has pulled out his eyebrows and sleeps all day. He needs help. Should he get it 1 st or go to AA 1st? That psychiatrist set us back 3 agonizing yrs. Should he go to a Psychologist instead?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
I wold definitely get your son in to see a psychologist who can actually take the time to explore what is going on with your son and to offer treatment recommendations. I hope your son is willing to give this another chance. Psychiatrists normally don't do therapy and only spend a few minutes with patients. A therapist can give your son the time and attention he needs. He should discuss treatment options for alcohol with the therapist. This may be handled in therapy or he might be referred specifically for alcohol treatment. He is not drinking so that is a positive but he definitely needs therapy because medication is only half the solution.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I agree (but then what good are psyciatrists?). But the problem is, how do I get a top psychologist and do they take insurance? I don't want him to to get another dud. I've got to get someone really good right away this time.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
A psychiatrist is good for giving meds and that is about it. As far as getting a good psychologist? Your son needs to get in to see any psychologist and see if it is the right fit or not. Just because a person is rated high does not mean it will be a good match for your son. Find a local psychologist and see if your son likes the person or not. it is a chance you have to take no matter who you see. If it is not a good fit then your son needs to move on to someone else. that is the way the business runs.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You are right but is there a referral service I can start with?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Usually no referrals are needed. Look in the phone book under mental health or counseling services and find one nearby. Start there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your excellent and common sense answers. I needed to hear them.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
After writing something positive, I'm sorry to say that I forgot to click on the positive box. Can I still do that? If so how?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Not sure but don't worry about it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I thought I already clcked on the green button, did I or not? If I didn't, I'll do it right away.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
thank you very much.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did I already click on the green button? I don't want to do it twice.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
you have not accepted this answer yet. please hit the green button.