Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

my son is 10 and over the past year he has started a series

my son is 10 and over the past year he has started a series of habits for eg sniffing, clearing of his throat and lately blinking. not always all together but has a habit all the time. he is also always biting the skin on his thumb and i wondered if i should take him to the doctor or will he grow out of these habits
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, there are two conditions where your son could be doing such actions like sniffing , clearing throat , blinking and biting skin on his thumb , firstly this could be due to anxiety , as he is growing child and he gets anxious while discovering new things in life or on day to day basis while attending to tasks , while second reason could that he might be developing Tics , which are sudden repetitive, nonrythmic, purposeless movements or vocalization ,involving one group of muscles .

see the link below...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic

In both cases , these actions are quite likely to become a habit/s which will be annoying to others , so you need to stop him from doing them , by telling him to stop such actions as they annoy others , plus shows others that he is not confident as a person, by making him conscious of his acts , he shall finally give up his habits , and since he is a young boy and such actions have recently started so it is the right time to stop them before they consolidate into incorrigable habits.

So, start reminding him to give up on his actions as soon as possible , give him rewards if he remains free of them for whole day , and continuously try to make him conscious of his habits and continue doing this till 1-2 months , hopefully you will see a positive outcome in this approach and his habits will start to wane , and eventually on your persistence he will grow out of these habits.

However, if no or insignificant improvement is seen in giving up of his habits , then you shall seek help of a child specialist and follow his / her advise as to how to overcome such habits.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best...

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..