Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

what causes loss of erection during sex? no problem getting

what causes loss of erection during sex? no problem getting there, but soon fades. is there an OTC med for this?

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, what you are suffering from is called as Erectile dysfunction , as even if you are abe to get an erection but you are not able to sustain it till the time of sexual satisfaction , so this also is included in erectile dysfunction.

Now , there can be various organic ( underlying diseases ) causes as well psychological causes responsible for erectile dysfunction ..

Some organic causes include --

1) cardiovascular diseases ( heart related conditions )

2) diabetes

3) spinal cord and brain injuries

4) long history alcohol consumption, and smoking ..

5) obesity

6) hypertension ( increased blood pressure )

7) hormonal disorders

8) any pelvic or abdominal surgery leading to trauma to the nerves ..

9) drugs like anti depressants ...

Psychological causes are --

1) stress

2) performance anxiety ( uncontrollable thoughts of failure during performance )

3) depression

4) substance abuse , etc.

So, since there are organic as well psychological causes leading to your present condition of erectile dysfunction , and since most of them are treatable and thus your erectile function can be restored , i would suggest that you consult your physician and get your self physically examined thoroughly and get all the above mentioned oranic causes ruled out .

Also discuss the below mentioned test with the doctor which are used to diagnose the organic cause / s of erecile dysfunction ,and choose from these to rule out or rule in a particular organic cause, these are--

1) duplex ultrasound -- this will emasure the blood flow , venous leadk ,etc

2) penile nerves function

3) nocturnal penile tumescence

Once , the organic cause is ruled out by your doctor , then it invariably becomes a psychological related problem , and for this you would require a further evaluation by a psychiatrist or a psychologist and then start on the appropriate therapy depending upon the cause.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best...

Regards...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one question is - i can masterbate with no dely or problems at all. it seems to be a problem when under the pressure to perform.

Ok , that is a positive thing , this means that you are suffering from Performance anxiety , and there is no underlying disease ( organic cause ).

So, for treating performance anxiety , i would suggest that you consult a psychologist and get yourself started on psychotherapy ( counseling ) in the form of cognitive behavioural therapy ( CBT ) , which is the counseling type suited best for treating performance anxiety.

And to assist this therapy in treating your performance anxiety , you also ask your family doctor to start you on 1 anti anxiety drug such as buspar or klonopin , preferably buspar .

So, i believe that in a few weeks of starting on psychotherapy and anti anxiety drug, your anxiety will be allayed and you will be able to perform during intercourse as good as before ,so just have patience and do as mentioned above .

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best...

Regards...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, that seems to make sense in my situation. i do have stress and anxiety from a divorce and a strong desire to find a new partner etc. when i do have sex with a new partner, it seems i go through a period of not being able to ejaculate for many sessions of sex till i get more comfortable etc. i will work on your ideas. thank you

your welcome !

Take care..

Regards..