Tamara, Counselor & Psychotherapist
Experience:  20+ yrs Private Practice; Cert. Master Therapist; National Board Certified; APA Board Certified

I feel very angry, annoyed and irritated most of the time and

Customer Question

I feel very angry, annoyed and irritated most of the time and I hate it. I also feel like being negative because its easier then being positive.I think I know why I feel like this but how can I make it stop?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Tamara replied 6 years ago.
Hi there. I'm sorry you are having a hard time lately. You're right - in many ways it is just easier to be negative than positive. Being positive takes a lot of conscious energy to change it, and being negative is a habit that's easy to maintain. However, you can make thinking positively more of a habit. It just takes some time and effort. You're on the right track. If you were able to think positively and try to look at what's good in things, you will soon not feel so angry, annoyed, and irritated. You need to train yourself to change how you think. Every time you catch yourself thinking something negative, you need to change it to something positive. Even if it has nothing to do with the original thought, just change what you are thinking and don't allow yourself to dwell on negative feelings and thoughts. If you do this consistently, you will soon find yourself feelings better. Best wishes, and please let me know if I can answer any further questions. Tamara