cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health

My boyfriend has PTSD and is experiencing flashbacks from extreme

My boyfriend has PTSD and is experiencing flashbacks from extreme childhood abuse. I don't know how to help him. Is there a treatment for PTSD and what kind of therapist should we seek?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 6 years ago.

Hi jno and thanks for writing

Yes there are many treatments for PTSD and yes it is very common for people with PTSD to self medicate.

While I am a psychoanalytically oriented therapist I find brief treatment best and I would refer your partner to a clinician trained in CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). As for the self medicating, if that gets out of hand look for a program called ARISE in your area. Its a non blaming program for addicts/alcoholics that serves both families and those they love.

I hope you can find a caring and compassionate therapist who will get him through this.

Very best wishes on such a tough question.

Good Luck.