cathy
cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health
25773729

sudden onset of paranoia, hallucinations, violent anger several

Customer Question

sudden onset of paranoia, hallucinations, violent anger several weeks after intubation
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomerand thanks for writing Justanswer.com

Can you please give us a question here? Thanks so much for your patience, we need you to formulate a question so that we can better help you.

Thank you

Cathy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what are some causes of full blown hallucinations (ie being taken from the hospital room, made to stay in a small dark room for 17 hours--- being taken to a different city). family member with a 5 yr. history of copd, anxiety. was intubated for 4-5 days after being readmitted to the hospital following a fall, received doses of morphine and 10mg. vicodin, discharged home. fell asleep in car, not unusal, however, after 3 or so hours, was unable to be aroused, subsequently was taken by car to the e.r. and intubated. is there any connection here? she was taken to a rehab/snf and did quite well the first week, since has become more disoriented, paranoid, hallucinating, profane to staff which is unlike her usual demeanor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is my answer????
Expert:  cathy replied 6 years ago.

Hi left and there are so many answers to your question.
Full blown hallucinations are a symptom of psychosis that can be due to mental illness, drug use or medical illness.

You dont give us the age or the medical condition of the person so its hard to answer.

This could be depression with psychotic features, delirium, psychosis secondary to a medical disorder, just so many things. I wish you would pose a question so we can better help you on this?

what do you wish to ask?

You see what you describe

(ie being taken from the hospital room, made to stay in a small dark room for 17 hours--- being taken to a different city). family member with a 5 yr. history of copd, anxiety. was intubated for 4-5 days after being readmitted to the hospital following a fall, received doses of morphine and 10mg. vicodin, discharged home. fell asleep in car, not unusal, however, after 3 or so hours, was unable to be aroused, subsequently was taken by car to the e.r. and intubated. is there any connection here? she was taken to a rehab/snf and did quite well the first week, since has become more disoriented, paranoid, hallucinating, profane to staff which is unlike her usual demeanor.

would not cause psychosis. The psychosis would have preceded this. Let me know if I can help you more on this.

Cathy