cathy, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  MS., MS.Ed., 30 years clinical and administrative experience in psychiatry and mental health

M,y son a schizophrenie for 20 years, on again off again medication.

Customer Question

M,y son a schizophrenie for 20 years, on again off again medication. He has been off medication for the last 6 mos or so, living in a world of his own. We have ask for help with our family doctor so for nothing. His psychristist told him if he didn't take his medication not to come back. we are just waiting for someting bad to happen. He is at the stage where he just don't wont to be bother by us. Left last week end and ended up in Dallas, TX, had to send him money to come home, talks to him self all the time. does not thing he need help. We are at the stage of no where to go or turn fighting with this for 20 years. help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  cathy replied 6 years ago.

Hi Martha and thanks for writing to

I dont know if you are aware but you can have your son committed to a psychiatric facility against his will where he will get medicine and be stabilized. I know that it is a very painful and awkard process but you can do that and you should if you believe that your son is a danger to himself or to others. I would seriously look into this if I were you.

In the interim, probably a good idea to contact your local nami organization and see how they can help you further.

The link is

you can click on your state and then your area.

So sorry you are experiencing this but I wish you all the very best.

Good Luck