Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

I believe my 22 year old daughter is a compulsive liar. I

I believe my 22 year old daughter is a compulsive liar.
I think it may stem from poor self esteem and a need for attention. How can we( family and friends) help her with her problem.

..Thanks..Phil
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

Good Evening,

First, she would want to get help for her self esteem problem (either in the form of counseling or working with a personal coach)

At 22 it is a bit late to learn how to be hones (but if she is doing the lying/manipulation) for attention seeking, she may re-learn proper ways to get that attention.

Of course, no matter what course of action she is to take, she must be willing to work on her behavior and self improvement. You can meanwhile encourage her to get the help she needs. If she is not willing, as a last resort you may want to consider a family/friend intervention in your home.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She says she is in counseling, but that might be a lie too. If she is,, it is not for the lying issue..but maybe rather a general behaivior issue. She is on lithium for mood stabilization,
and one other thing,, her mother is also a problematic liar ( we have been divorced for 9 years).. so my daughter may have learned some of this behavior. Any suggestions as to how broach the subject without having her get defensive?

Thanks....
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

IF she gets defensive that is not because of what you did (rather her poor coping skill)

One way to approach it is to gently point out to her some discrepancies that her mom had made (if you're able to think of a time when mom promisesed her or told her something that was not true and especially if that disappointed her)

Another would be to just flat point out to her the discrepancy you've noticed and perhaps ask her if she meant to say something else (that way you're giving her an opportunity to save face and are not blaming her )

You are correct the lying is not per se a symptom of the depressive disorder (it is most likely a learned thing although some individuals with antisocial personality disorder would also lie)

Edited by Dr. Rossi on 2/1/2010 at 1:14 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you... I will certainly use the examples of her mothers' behavior with her , I think that may be a good approach. One last question, what sort of symptoms are manifested with antisocial personality disorder.. this term has been used by her mother in regards XXXXX XXXXX

Thaks for the information...

Have a good evening..!

..Phil
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

Antisocial Personality Disorder for symptoms click here

If info was helpful would you please accept so I can receive a credit for my work. Thank you.

Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience: PsyD, LPC, CHt