Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

I have a daughter who is bulimic and who steals and lies. She

Customer Question

I have a daughter who is bulimic and who steals and lies. She can be very sweet and people love her and she can be so much fun. She is very smart and seems to be caring and does seem have some empathy. We have caught her in the lies and ask her about all of this-she cries and if she talks to us, she never really admits to the problems. I am so heartbroken and devastated by her actions - of self destruction- and am at a total loss as to what to do. She will not go for counselling. Help, Deb
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

Good Evening,

If she is refusing treatment, there is little you can do -just encourage her and offer perhaps to go in with her for support to the first session.

Unless she presents imminent danger to herself or another, you won't be able to commit her involuntarily or have her get the needed treatment. If in a crisis/posing a threat, you can try to have her involuntarily committed to a crisis center and kept there for an eval for up to 72 hours. This will depend on the state you live in. Usually the probate judge handles the issuing of the affidavit order and the sheriff dept picks her up.

You may want to try to find out why the resistance on her part (some people with eating disorders do not see anything wrong with that) On the other hand, the lying is something that she has to also want to work on.

Perhaps a family intervention in the home with others can be something you could explore.