Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

my son is 13 he told us that he tried to kill himself in his

my son is 13 he told us that he tried to kill himself in his room about 2 weeks ago with his hand around his throat.two weeks before thanksgiving he was sent to a mental facility for a 6 day program that did not seem to do much good.
today he got so angry that he picked up a bat and hit me with it,we think we should have him committed to a facility for long term treatment.
can you give any suggestions
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Based on what you are reporting tonight, I believe it is in the best interest of your son to have him placed or committed to a long term facility. He sounds as if he has severe depression and impulsivity, and is having difficulty controlling his behaviors. I am not a lawyer, but because he has placed his life and yours in jeopardy, he should meet criteria for committment petition. These can be obtained through the circuit court in your county. The local mental health center can usually help you with this. Most of them have a juvenile mental health officer to give you information. Or, you can call the Circuit Judge's office and discuss this with him/her.

If you feel you or your son are in danger today, please take him to your local hospital emergency department to emergency treatment.

I am not sure what other questions you have. Please let me know. Thanks, Gina