Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

When you dont have health insurance, how do you get the treatment

When you don't have health insurance, how do you get the treatment you need. We live in Baltimore and my son has been diagnosed with Bipolar. They have prescribed Abilify and Wellbutrin because he just tried to kill himself and is in the hospital. Are there doctors that use sliding scale for treatment? I am afraid that he will stop treatment if he feels he cannot afford it.
Hello Molly,
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Sorry to hear you son is going through this. Most communities have mental health services available to people that are unable to pay or need reduced cost treatment. In Baltimore he could go to Harford Belair Community Mental Health services for sliding scale treatment. Here is a link to their services. Also, most drug companies have indigent medication programs which include filling out an application, having the Dr. sign the application and they will send the medication to the Dr's office. For Abilify he would start here and for Wellbutrin here. He would have to meet the income requirement for these programs.

I hope these suggestions help. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best,
Kym