Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...

Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

My 24 year old son saw a psychiatrist last week for a mild

My 24 year old son saw a psychiatrist last week for a mild anxiety problem. The Dr. put him on Effexor for daytme use and when my son told him he had trouble sleeping, he prescribed Gabapentin. I happen to know that this medixation is primarily used for seizures and fibromyalgi as my husband has previously been prescribed the same medication. I called the pharmacist and asked if he had given my son the wrong medication and he said "that is what the Dr. prescribed". When I told him what it was to be used for, he answered that is not it's proper use. My son called the psychaitrist and askied him if perhaps he mad made a mistake and he said, "noit is often used for depression and anxiety as well". I have been researching this medication on the web, and can find no such use for it. Please advise
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Thank you for using JustAnswer. In my experience, as a clinician, working with people with anxiety, depression and bipolar disorder, I am seeing Gabapentin used very often. It is officially an anticonvulsant as is Depakote which is a widely accepted and used for mood stabilization. Here is more information about the use with mood disorders in general including anxiety issues. Here is another link for anxiety disorder specifically.

I hope this answer helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,
Kym