Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

I have a friend that lies about serious things like her medical

I have a friend that lies about serious things like her medical conditions (said she was dying of a lung disease), pregnancy, and her friends dying. I think she does it for attention, but its almost like she enjoys the pain she causes her friends when they are upset and distraught over her 'conditions'. I want to help her but I dont know what could be the problem. A friend suggested she might be bipolar, but I'm just not sure if thats it. Aside from the lying she is a really good friend. Its like she will go through these episodes where she needs more attention than what we give her. She is happy most of the time but I've been there when she seems like her world is crashing around her and she's depressed. What could cause her to lie about serious stuff like that?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Sorry to hear your friend is acting this way. She very well could have Bipolar disorder. It can cause a person to go through impulsive times where they lie and they can even believe the lies at the time. Unfortunately, we can not convince people to get help unless they see it as a problem. I would suggest waiting for a good day and then sit down with her and tell her how much you value the friendship and then explain how the lying hurts you and makes you reconsider the friendship at times. At that time if she is open to it. You can suggest going to see a counselor about the lying. A counselor will be able to evaluate whether or not it is possibly bipolar and can refer to a psychiatrist if needed.

I hope this answer helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Edited by Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH on 1/23/2010 at 8:29 PM EST