Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker

I experienced severe trauma at the age of 13 at boarding school.

I experienced severe trauma at the age of 13 at boarding school. my way of surviving was through emotional supression and repression.this caused a breakdown. obviously this had a serious effect which surfaced as severe anxiety throughout the teeenage years and at university. i have had big trouble holfding down a job or relationship-- i am now 39. I went into recovery 10 years ago. through meditation i managed to release some of the emotion.(mainly tears and grief)
i have since found out that i have dyspraxia--which was why i was picked on. i still find it dificult to cope with stress and i am susceptible to depression. is there anything else i need to be doing?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Hello Ireton,
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm so sorry to hear you went through this trauma and it affected your life so much. I am wondering if any of your past therapy involved EMDR? Here is a link to this type of therapy. This type of therapy helps "unstick" any of the neural pathways that might be holding on to the trauma. It can be the next step if traditional talk therapy has already been tried. If meditation worked well for you, you may find this therapy very helpful to further cope with stress reactions and the bouts of depression. I hope this suggest helps you continue to improve your symptoms related to the traumatic event.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this suggestion.

All the best,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thanks for this reply. I am shortly starting with a new psychiatrist and he is using exactly this method.

Wonderful! All the best to you.