Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

Hi I need advice. I like someone at work, and he is my superior.

I need advice. I like someone at work, and he is my superior. He helped me with something and I would liketo stay in touch with him. I suggested lunch and he said to call him. I did, left a voicemail and no response a week ago. My question is should I try again or see if we run into each other. Or just forget about it. I guess I am feeling uneasy both ways. Although, he took me to lunch once as a courtesy. I do not want to push or be clingy. I am nervous about that.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Many people are cautious about pursuing a relationship at work, especially if it involves superior/subordinate roles. This can cause difficulties in the work relationship if it does not work out, potential job losses, perception and reality of favoritism, sexual harassment laws, and the list can go on and on. Most managers are educated about this and it is usually frowned upon by their superiors.

It may be best for you and for him if you leave this alone. Give him the opportunity to pursue this if he chooses. Since you have put out the effort once, it is in his playing field now. And if he does pursue, think about how this may effect your job and work relationship, if it works out or if it doesn't work out. Don't take this personally if he does not reciprocate. He may be trying to protect his job and yours, and avoid any problems that may effect your work performance.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Gina

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you saying do not call, is that correct.
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. I would allow him the opportunity to call you now, since you have made the effort. Gina