Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
19637974

hello I just got in a bad MVC yesterday they lady was speeding

hello I just got in a bad MVC yesterday they lady was speeding and hit my drivers side I was the driver They had to use the jaws of life to get my out I was using the 3 point seat belt. The doctors said I was lucky to be alive right now even thou my airbags did not deploy at all I woke up this morning sick to my tummy like I am about to throw up. is that normal and the second thing. I have never been in a bad MVC before when ever i close my eyes i see the accident all over again i hear the crunch of the car door. I can see my car spinning in a circle i see my car heading the tree I see the lady yelling at me and I see those jaws of life tring to get me out My sister said I might have the beginning of PTSD could that happen I am so afraid to get in a car now Thank you Christine
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Hi

I am so glad you came out of that ok.

Anytime you have a life threatening situation like this, it can create a lot of fear, memories, and internal thooughts. It is not necessarily the beginining of PTSD, but could be. Give youreself some time to process and accept what happened. AS time passes, usually these thoughts and feelings will pass also. If not, give yourself a month or so, and seek professional assistance.

Talking about what happened over and over will help relieve some of these fears, and other emotions. Please let me know if you have other questions. Gina

Edited by Gina P on 1/17/2010 at 8:12 AM EST