Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

Does 300 ng/ml of benzodiazepine equal 1 mg of lorazepam

Does 300 ng/ml of benzodiazepine equal 1 mg of lorazepam?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 7 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Can you explain a little more what you want to know. Is this the results of a blood test for compliance? Benzodiazapine is a class of drugs, Lorazepam a specific benzo. I seldom see anyone take blood levels except drug testing/employment/flight physicals. Depends in part if they are measuring a metabolite, timing of last dose, consistency of dosing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took a pre-employment screen and I take 1 mg of lorazepam on a as needed basis. It has never come up on prior drug screens that I have taken, and because I don't take it that much, I never advise the tester. To tell you the truth, I didn't even think that they tested for that. Someone told me that the test that I took was a 10 panel test and that it will be positive if I have taken it in the last few days, which I have. I didn't know if 1 mg would come-up as a therapeutic dose and not an indication of abuse (I've take a lot of drug screens for work and have never been told that I was positive for benzo). I didn't know if I should tell them, or if it was no big deal.
My wife is esponsible for drug testing at her workplace. They seldom test for legal drugs. If you come up positive, just say you didn't include because it was prescribed by MD. I would also just say I take it only for sleep (especially if job involves any driving or machinery). Her advice is just to list it as prescribed by MD for sleep and they won't touch you for a legal drug and your dosage is very reasonable. Lorazepam has a 10-20 hour half life, so after that time you will only have 1/2 mg in system. Thats not much at all. It has no active metabolites (which is often what they test for) so you should be clean on them. There is no way this will show up as abusive, and likely not to even be a reliable blip on the panel. You should be OK. If they do detect it, just tell them it is legal and for sleep and that (if provable) will make you legal.