Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

I have social anxiety disorder. I have read alot about it

I have social anxiety disorder. I have read alot about it but before
I begin any type of counseling I do feel that I need relief of some of
this anxiety of embarrassment in front of others because it is getting
worse and have began to even avoid friends and family and prefer to
stay at home.

Is there any way to know what may be the best possible medication
to try that is more specific to helping this type of anxiety, mine like I
said is definitely more of a Social anxiety. Thank You.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Social Anxiety Disorder can be debilitating in many situations.

Medications can be used to treat the symptoms, but specific therapies such as cognitive behavioral and exposure type of therapies can help you ameliorate this problem as well.

Medications are usually given as anti-depressants, and this will be individual as far as what works for you. Most people with this type of anxiety also have depression. Is this true for you?

There are also the anti anxiety medications and beta blockers that are available to take as needed, for when you are going out, or for specific social activities that exacerbate your anxiety. These do not cause weight gain.

There is no clear cut medications that will stop the symptoms of social anxiety disorder. There are many that can help with this, but this will be an individualized treatment dependent upon what works for you. Please see your general practitioner and work on a treatment regiment that works best for you. Please let me know if you have other questions. Gina

Edited by Gina P on 1/11/2010 at 4:30 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

You asked if I were have any depression now and the answer is yes.

I don' t think that it was there initially but is at this time. It seems to have

left me with lots of fatigue, poor enjoyment of most things, and simply feeling

down more than I should. In second question I asked about the fact that

from what I couold see the only ssri that claims to be specfic for SAD is Luvox sr.

Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Yes the Luvox is indicated for SAD. SSRIs and SNRIs are the types of medications most commonly prescribed for SAD. They are generally used as anti-depressants, but Paxil, Zoloft and Effexor, have been approved by the FDA specifically for social anxiety. If you have depression as well, you may want to look into an antidepressant, and a PRN benzodiazepine or beta blocker. Gina