Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

Hi- I have an appointment with my husband to see a (recommended)

Hi- I have an appointment with my husband to see a (recommended) Psychiatrist to help us with our marriage, before we consider divorcing. I have never been to a therapist, psychiatrist or counselor. What should I be prepared for? Inquire about? Bring with me? etc... I feel like I should be prepared for the meeting, but I haven't a clue about what to prepare for . Thanks for your help.

On an initial meeting, usually a psychiatrist will do a thorough assessment. He/she will ask questions about symptoms both of you and your husband, as well as issues with the marriage. This should include psychological, sociological, medical, family, and marriage history. He/she will also look for any signs (not reported symptoms, but problems with communications, etc) that may effect you, your husband, or the marriage. Really, you do not need to prepare. The more comfortable you are in revealing yourself and marriage issues, the better the session will go. The psychiatrist will be attempting to help you remain comfortable so you can present an accurate description of the issues.

The only thing you may need to bring in this session would be a list of medications you and your husband currently take.

Yes, please write down a list of questions you may want to ask. Things to consider could be: duration of sessions, couple or individual, assignments, etc?

Please let me know if you have further questions. Gina