Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
19637974

Are there Borderline Personality Treatment programs that require

Are there Borderline Personality Treatment programs that require the patient to sign a legal document that they will not quit the program prior to completion of treatment?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 7 years ago.

I am not an attorney but from my field in therapeutic counseling, patients have the right to free will, and unless there is court ordered treatment, then no. In most states, if the person has made an overt gesture to put his/her life or someone'else in danger, then you may be able to get a court committment petition. This is a court order for treatment. Many states have specific guidelines about committments and you can get his informjation from the circuit court in your county.I know it is frustrating dealing with someone with a personality disorder. Of course, you can do something on your own with your loved one (?) such as develop a contract with consequences. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks, Gina

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help.