Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

I wonder if I am bipolar. Ive been treated for severe depression

I wonder if I am bipolar. I've been treated for severe depression before and am mildly depressed at intervals, lasting 1-3 weeks. Sometimes, less frequently mildly elated, irritable, even angry for hours, hypersexual, very creative, many thoughts, less sleep. What confuses me is duration - sometimes just elated for a few days, but it has been for weeks in the past. I spend more but don't get out of control with it. Olfactory hallucinations sometimes. Not on meds or drugs, & try not to drink too much. My brother seems worse than me. I'm 53.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. The symptoms you describe can be indicative of Bipolar Disorder. But, it sounds as if you are managing them fairly well. The onset of this disorder usually begins in the twenties. This could also be related to some hormonal imbalance or vitamin deficiency.

I would recommend you have a physical exam to rule out medical and if the symptoms persist, have an evaluation by a psychiatrist. Please let me know if you have other quesions. Thanks, Gina

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thanks for your reply. Actually I first experienced these symptoms when I was 16. It's only recently that I began to consider the possibility of bipolar disorder

Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Hi Les,

As with any diagnosis, it would be impossible to diagnose on line. Please follow through with the medical and psychiatric exams so you can enjoy your life to the fullest. Gina