Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
19637974

extreme anxiety and stress

extreme anxiety and stress
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Do you have a specific questionj related to anxiety and stress?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In the past, I suffered very badly from stress, and I find it hard now to cope with any stress which comes my way. Now, everytime I feel any stress, I suffer deep chest pain, and feel so ill that i'm sure I have a heart problem, but when doctors check me out, they tell me it is anxiety, and I dont have heart problem, however i'm never convinced, and deeply believe that I have the past stress has weakened my heart. Paramedics, doctors, family make me believe that I'm crazy, but I cant seem to get the idea out of my head. I need reassurance, I cant live like this.
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

If you have had a thorough exam, and medically cleared, then it sounds as if it is anxiety. There are many behavioral management and medications to assist with this.

The trick with any treatment is consistency. I don't know if you have tried managemtn techniques before, but these are usually easy to do, and work pretty well.

A couple of things to try. Practice deep breathing exercises first to relax your body as much as possible. Lie down with your spine straight and no limbs crossed to allow adequate blood flow. Breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. When inhaling, allow your stomache to come out. When exhaling, stomache should go in. this helps you force lair to the lower lung area for deeper breathes. Practice this for at least 10 minutes each day.

Once you have mastered the breathing, add a few things. Close your eyes and visualize the air you breath in as a color you see that would be calming, example: blue. Feel and see the calming color move into your body. When exhaling choose a color to represent the anxiety/stressor and see/feel it moving out of your body.

This is just one example of a behavioral mangement. Any technique must be practiced daily, and when you feel stress, regardless of where you are, your brain is trained to use some calming behaviors like this. There are many books with techniques to manage this.

Not sure if you are on anti-anxiety medications, but this can help also.

You are not crazy. You just need to learn to manage the anxiety a little better.

Please let me know if you have further quesitons. Gina

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The problem is i didnt manage my stress in the past, and now any physical symptoms i get, I automatically connect them with stress, and my heart. I havent had a thorough examination, but I had a blood test, because of unexplained bruising on my body, and was told that it needs to be re-done - this is causing even more worry!!!! Its a vicious circle that I keep getting myself into, and cant snap out of it until I get the 'all clear' on the medical problems.
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.
Ok, Ask your family physician to do a thorough physical, with blood work, cardiac workup, stress test, etc. This will rule out the medical concerns. Then work on the anxiety. I also have anxiety issues, so know, until you have the medical exam, nothing will really work well, due to constant fear it is heart. You are right, it is a cycle. so rule out the medical and get going on the anxiety. I wish you well. Gina
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you Gina