Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

Im a 31 year old male. I have Bi-polar disorder II and have

I'm a 31 year old male. I have Bi-polar disorder II and have been fairly stable on the following medications: Depakote (1000mg), Seroquel (50mg) and Wellbutrin (150mg x 2). My psychiatrist says he doesn't feel like I need to treat my ADHD symptoms because I have "gotten along fine this far without it (treatment)."

I have done my research and feel like I could greatly benefit from treating the ADHD and I feel like it would be the "last piece of the puzzle." I am entering a doctorate program next fall, and I'm extremely anxious because of how difficult it was to finish my masters because of my ADHD symptoms. I feel like I won't measure up to my peers, and my persistent depression will return.

I understand that the stimulants are potentially destabilizing, and I have had minor relief from the wellbutrin. I do not have a history of addiction. I'm a little annoyed that my psychiatrist won't even entertain the idea. Am I out of line? Or would you recommend I get a second opinion?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Although some of your fears are anticipatory and not reality as yet, you know yourself better than anyone. If you have a history of struggling with your studies and concentration, you may want to head this off before it gets here. I would seek a second opinion or contact your promary care physician for assistance.

Even, though you don't have a history of addiction, sometimes you can build an emotional addiction to the medications, just because they are very good for symptoms. So just be careful to take only as prescribed and let your phsycians know what you are taking, if you use different doctors.

Good luck in your studies. I wish you well. Gina