Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
19637974

I have just discovered that my husband is reading incest erotica--

I have just discovered that my husband is reading incest erotica-- mother-son and aunt-nephew scenarios. His aunt is his mother's identical twin. There are multiple pages and several websites in his history. He also owns a movie of this genre that I have found. He does not know that I have found all the web pages or the search term "incest stories" as he tried to delete his history. I am completely disturbed by this. What does this mean?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

I can understand your feelings about this. This is a violation of trust, but also can create feelings of inadequacy in partners, as well as fear that there is something wrong with your spouse.

Pornographic material is so widespread with the internet now, and easily accessible. He may have only visited and viewed out of curiosity. Of course, there is the possibility that he may fantasize about this as well. Many times, fantasies are just that, and never acted upon. These, although devastating to a partner, could be harmelss.

I think the important question here is, what does this mean to you? I would recommend you seek some assistance either through talking with a close friend, or a therapist, and get a handle on your feelings. Then decide how you want to pursue this with your husband. Sometimes, finding out secrets about each other can open the communication lines in a stronger way.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Gina