Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

I am certain that my 48 year old sister has a type of paranoid

I am certain that my 48 year old sister has a type of paranoid disorder which is manifesting itself as a fear that her ex husband is trying to murder her. She was found with a handgun at her side as she was taking a nap by her son and when confronted by him she said that she had it for protection. She has wired her bedroom against intruders and placed rope by the dooorway and dishes against the windowsill. She has over the years accused her husband ( an anesthesiologist) of attempting to murder her and I think her paranoia has reached a state which makes me concerned that she may either shoot one of her children or someone near her house like a delivery person. She will not talk to me or my mother and I think she is also addicted to medication for ADHD and other mood altering prescriptions. What can I do to help her?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Many states have psychiatric committment laws to assist when the loved one is unable to help themself. It sounds as if you sister may meet criteria for the committment. She has an overt gesture (gun) and paranoia, delusional thought process. So she may be a danger to herself or other people, expecially if she believes her husband may be trying to kill her. I would recommend you contact the circuit court in the county she lives, and request assistance with this. Every county should also have a community mental health officer who can answer questions or file a committment petition if needed. You can reach them through the local mental health center. Please let me know if you have other questions. Gina