Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

My husband does things like; while we are shopping waiting

My husband does things like; while we are shopping waiting until my back is turned & switching the shoes I picked out for a pair 2 sizes too big and putting them in the shoe box so I won't notice until we are home, sabotaging my diet and my attempts to stop smoking, changing our previously agreed on home repair plans and doing something completely different at the last minute that he knows I won't like, turning out the lights and TV at night because he is going to bed even if I am still awake and watching something, interrupting me then loudly talking over me when we are visiting friends so I am unable to have a conversation without making a scene then he acts hurt and I look like a witch, for a couple of years he has monitored my phone calls, then he began monitoring my internet use a few months ago and about a week ago decided I use too much water when in reality I use very little water. Why would he do these things?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Your husband may be suffering some sort of senility, or may be passive aggressive with you. He may have some paranoia related to the monitoring of he phone calls and internet. It is just too broad to guess from this point. I would recommend you both seek couple counseling to address the couple issues, and the therapist usually will scheudle some individual sessions as well. At that time, the therapist can determine if these symptoms are psychiatric or behavioral. Please let me know if you have other questions. Gina