Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

Hi there, Im a psychology student looking to find work as

Hi there, I'm a psychology student looking to find work as a research assistant, I'm currently working almost full time in IT. My tutor for one class last semester suggested I email her manager to say I'm interested in work. But I have no idea what to write. I've been ruminating over it for a couple of months now so it's getting a bit ridiculous. I have no idea whether undergrad research assistants work full-time or part-time - I could only work one day a week (current job takes 4-5) - is this a realistic situation to ask about? Basically ANY advice you could provide regarding what I could write about or how to phrase this email would be an AMAZING help. please!! Thanks in advance.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 4 years ago.
Hi, It looks like the psychology experts are off line currently. But could be available at any time. Your question will remain open until someone is available. gina
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this an auto reply? If not, your advice would be appropriate, as the centre I'm contacting is actually a Psychiatric Research Centre. Have you hired any undergraduate research assistants before? If so, what would you expect them to tell you when approaching you for work, and are they usually hired on a full-time or part-time basis?

Thanks, Luisa
Expert:  Gina P replied 4 years ago.

Wnen I was in graduate school, I worked as a research assistant on a part time basis. Fortunately for me, I was one of the subjects! I was trained to perform various psychiatric symptoms and evaluate the clinicians who assessed me. This was loads of fun!

As a therapist currently, I employ several PRN workers, two are research assistants. Most of the time, the assistants do what is taught for each specific job. Research itself is so structured, but I feel you must also have a balance of abstractness to do a good job in research. Does that make sense? It is also very broad, as are the instructors

Since one of your tutors recommend you contact this person, I would simply write an email that stated, "Ms White asked me to contact you regarding employment as a research assistant." Dependent upon what the researcher's work pertains to, would follow with your interest, such as, "I undersand you are currently researching ....... and I have an interest in this area because ........... then give about three reasons why you are interested. Make these broad and they will apply to you!

Following that, you may want to mention your selling points. " I am pursuing a degree in psychology, a senior?, and consider it a great opportunity to work within the field while still pursuing my degree......"

I am available on a part time basis might be a better fit than available one day per week. Most people who hire you want to know that you are responsible, will be there, and will work while you are there. Everyone wants to hear how you can enahnce the team at work, so if you add a little something about that as well.

I hope this is what you are looking for. Let me know if you have other questions. Gina

Gina P, LCSW
Experience: MSW, LCSW, PIP
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Gina, this is a great help. Especially the advice on how to structure it and what to include. Thanks so much.
Expert:  Gina P replied 4 years ago.
Hi, You are so welcome, and I hope you have great success!! Gina