Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
19637974

what are some positive ways i can stop thinking about certain

what are some positive ways i can stop thinking about certain things that have happened to me in the past so i can move forward with my life?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. When we have past issues, they can continue to resurface until they are resolved. Resolution sometimes means working with a therapist, exploring difficult feelings, and learning to forgive those who have harmed us. Forgiveness is for you, not for them. It is this type of peace that allows you to move forward in a more positive way, now seeing the past as stepping stones to make you a more fulfilled and genuine person.

The past is like carrying around a garbage can. It stinks up your life. It also gives those who have harmed in the past, power over you today, because they are influencing everything you do.

I hope you will work with a counselor on this. Find a therapist who has good insight into how to work on the past. Dependent upon your past, it should take you about 6 mo-a year or so.

In the meantime, focus on what is positive in your life on a daily basis. Write a gratitude list, even if it is difficult at first. Social, play, and have fun. Hope this helps. Gina