Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
19637974

Hi, I suspect myself of having Anti Social Personality Disorder.

Hi, I suspect myself of having Anti Social Personality Disorder. I can genuinely tell you that to me, if I can't love or be loved, life is not worth living. My question is, can I hope to be cured of this through therapy if I really do WANT to change?

Thank you for using Just Answer. Anti Social Personality Disorder has as a primary characteristic the unwilllingness or inability to feel empathy or feelings for a person. Your statement "if I can't love or be loved" really sort of counters that trait off!

You may simply be having some difficulty with yourself or with relationships right now. Personality Disorders are diagnosed based on "patterns" of behaviors over a period of time.

But, the answer is yes. Personality Disorders can be corrected with consistency, diligence and conscious effort to change. These do take committment to yourself. Personality Disorders, many times develop as an emotionally protective device. As an adult, the need is no longer there to protect oneself, but the behaviors are engrained. So they do require a lot of work. You have good insight and motivation since you are looking at some characteristics on your own.

I would recommend you seek a counselor to assist you in deteriming how to change and grow healthier. Dont't get too hung up on the labels. Just work on the issues that bother you and remember, the healthier you become, the more you will atract healthy people. Please let me know if you have other questions. Gina