Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
19637974

I divorced my bi-polar ex-husband because he cheated on me

Customer Question

I divorced my bi-polar ex-husband because he cheated on me with numerous women and eventually got one of them pregnant. This behavior didn't surface until after I had my son.

Previous to the birth of my son, we did have a lot of ups and downs in the marriage. He was so critical of me, and he behaved as if he was some sort of authority on everything in our marriage. I always felt I had to walk on eggshells around him.

Anyway, is there some sort of correlation between the birth of our son and his "hyper sexuality?" He wasn't on any meds during our marriage.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Yes, one symptom of Bipolar Disorder can be hyper sexuality. As far as the correltation, I am assuming you mean was he in a manic episode? Hard to say, but bearing in mind that he impregnated another woman, is a possiblity.

None the less, you are left with the positive aspect of the relationship, the child. I am glad you have chosen not to continue in a relationship with someone you have to "walk on eggshells." You and your son deserve to have a better life than this. Please let me know if you have further questions. Gina

Gina P, LCSW
Experience: MSW, LCSW, PIP
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

Perhaps you could clarify "correlation between the birth of our son and his "hyper sexuality?" He wasn't on any meds during our marriage. ". I am not sure what you means and need clarification./

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I wondered if the birth of our son triggered his hypersexuality. His father was a hypersexual person and cheated on his wife regularly. He was born overseas and his parents left him in the care of grandparents to pursue a life in the states. They did come back for him when he was 4 or 5 years old.

I thought the birth of our son caused him to act out sexually and father when he was growing up.