Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

I was wondering if you had any spiritual/Catholic Christian

I was wondering if you had any spiritual/Catholic Christian advisors or "directors" I could talk to about my spiritual journey. I happen to be a "certified Catholic Chaplain emeritas", retired from hospital chaplaincy and living alone, and feel I have no spiritual life. There's something not right there. Priests are too busy here in their churches. Got one or a nun on your staff? Ministers need to be ministered unto sometimes. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Certified Catholic Chaplain, Emeritus
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Good Evening,

You've mentioned that you're diagnosed with arthritis and fybromialgia and have some stressors that you're dealing with. Stress can trigger underlying depression and some of its symptoms that you've shared such as tearfulness, lack of motivation, anhedonia (lack of enjoyment) as well as a history of depression is what you're possibly dealing with again.

You've also shared that your faith had in the past assisted you in feeling better. Depression is a clinical disorder and faith is going to be helpful in addition to medication and professional counseling. Hopefully you are not feeling down on yourself and blaming yourself for the lifting up of depression due to lack of faith on your part. God is available to us through the work of others that they offer to us. Your spiritual journey does have road blocks while we carry our crosses that applies to everyone- to learn for trials and tribulations and most importantly to fin the strength to remain on the path.

Interfaith Ordained Minister.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, answer not helpful. I already know what Dr. rossi stated. The missing link is sharing with another who may have been in my shoes or is at least in link with God and understands trying to do his will with all the stumbling blocks we undergo. I seem to be carrying a heavy cross, but Jesus promises his cross will not be heavy, so I feel I'm doing something wrong or just not seeing the path. I don't hold myself guilty for depression. What I see is depressing.

Right now, "restless leg sydrome" is wanting me to stop typing and blow this off. The left leg does not want me to sit in the same position for more than 5 minutes. Really angers me. I am in the process of buying new shoes and ankle supports and getting the right meds to control this problem which can interfere with sleep.

I'm thinking I just have to accept it and move on. Asking for help takes too much time.

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 6 years ago.

Not sure why the assumption that others including the person responding had not been ones same or similar shoes. Those going to the kingdom of God (and while on earth that kingdom is our own heart and mind) would have to pass through the eye of a sowing needle not the wide open doors (the last shall be first) etc. Asking for help is the right step and being open to the help is another as well as receiving and applying the help.

Edited by Dr. Rossi on 1/11/2010 at 1:17 PM EST