Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

My four year old is a problem child she gets into everything

My four year old is a problem child she gets into everything all the time. She hits screams is bossy and wont listen at all she wont stop, talks alot and dont think she has respect, she wont sit and watch a movie she doesnt concerntrate for very long at tried to do craft and reading books and movies but she doesnt last for long before she is bored and wants to get into something else. what can i do? what am i doing wrong?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

I would suggest appropriate use of time out is fine. Try to stay away from from punishment and power struggles. Choose your limits and stick with them-be consistent. I would infer from what you describe,that the child has a psychiatric disorder that requires treatment and possibly medication. In addiction, after a psychiatric evaluation, the child and the family are probably appropriate for candidates for assessment as well, as this type of thing effects all. The prognoses with the correct treatment is good, so be realistically optimistic. Incidentally, I could throw all sorts of diagnoses on you, but without an in depth, thorough mental status exam, it is only speculative.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.