Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

How do I develop the skills to recognize self-defeating behaviors,

How do I develop the skills to recognize self-defeating behaviors, and then how do I conquer them?

First it would be helpful to develop a social network including friends to help you identify the behaviors. Another thing is to develop a list so that when you hear it you will know it..

But most importantly, is the belief will continue unabated, uncorrected and without a corrective experience.

I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, one is taught new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result, one's mood improves. anxiety and panic attacks, self worth increases. . In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Ralph,
I am reluctant to ask friends to help me with this. I also saw the information on the web site you recommended. In reference to any mental health issue, I don't believe that there are no quick fixes. On the other hand, I want some very pragmatic steps to take. For example, you suggest a list, but how do I know what to put on the list? I suspect that I engage in self-defeating behaviors but my dilemma is that I cannot identify them alone. Friends might be able to help but I don't necessarily want to share my shortcomings with them. Other than weekly psychotherapy sessions, can you think of any other effective method? Are there any books you could recommend? Could you recommend any workshops?

First allow me to suggest that what you are using is not truly effective. So you have nothing to lose by trying something different. I appreciate th reticience in placing the burden on a briend. It would be the nature of the friendship. I picked the Cognitive Behaviorial Therapy orientation because it is pragmatic.You mention "other than weekly psychotherapy" that would be large step forward, considering you prior track record. Take a chance. Here is a good CBT work book Cited from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/phrase/Self_Management-Techniques/ref=cap_top_2

Sincerely,

Customer/p>