Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

i have only been diagnosed as Bipolar for a few months now

Customer Question

i have only been diagnosed as Bipolar for a few months now i am 32 with long term mental health problems, i am taking seroquel & efexor 50mg & 140mg respecyively, but i've now been prescribed a third drug also by my Psychiatrist an anti anxiety drug that i'm due to collect from my G.P Monday, why do I have to now take 3 drugs daily & what harm could this cause mixing 3 types of medication ? also is it possible on the nhs to get a cat scan to see if there are problems in the brain which may be causing the bipolar, as i did fracture my skull when i was only 2.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Hello.

Before you take up a new medication the doctor should provide a risk benefit analysis. In this situation the doctor will inform you of the potential positives and negatives. After you receive this information. It is the your decision if you wish to take another medicine. Remember, the doctor has your best interest at hear, but in the end it is your decision.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DEAR XXXXX, I'VE NOT HAD A CARE PLAN PROVIDED FOR ME YET, THIS NEW PRESCRIPTION WAS SENT TO MY GP VIA MY PSYCHIATRIST WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE, I DO NOT HAVE A CARE WORKER C.P.N OR ANY HELP FRM SOCIAL SERVICES SO AM VERY MUCH ON MY OWN, I SEE YOUR POINT, BUT MY MEDICATION & ITS AFFECTS ARE NOT BEING MONITERED I WAS SEEING MY PSYCHIATRIST ONCE TRI- MONTHLY NOW IT'S BI-MONTHLY. I WAS WONDERING IF I CAN VOLUNTARILLY SECTION MYSELF ?

I apologized for not being familiar with what I thought the U.K. system. But in no place of the civilized world does one have to take meds unless a court order that it is in the patient's best interest. I do not believe that this is the case here. So my for for the sake of expediency you should not have to give up your rights re: medication.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC