Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I have been taking remeron 45 mg daily since beginning of 9/09.

Customer Question

I have been taking remeron 45 mg daily since beginning of 9/09. I also take 2 14 mgs of klonopin every day (have been taking that for years). I want to wean myself off of these drugs. please advise how to do this. thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

Given all are different the weaning process is different for all. The klonopin as to e carefully done to avoid benzodiazepine withdrawal which can lead to seizure or worse. The remeron is important to avoid the discomfort o seratonin and norepinephrine withdrawal which is is uncomfortable but not dangerous. That is why the taper should be supervised by a physician and adjusted to you,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this does not help me...does not advise me as to the weaning dosage I should follow.If my psychiatrist was helpful in this are I would not have posted the question on line.

Sorry this is not a precise answer, but not being a physician I am reticent. Address your question to Dr. Krauhauk who is a psychiatrist. I hope tat will help-good luck.

Ralph LMHC

I sent your question to a specialist-hope that helps.-Dr. EWilfong

Ralph LMHC

Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
First of all, I want to caution you that you are at high risk of relapse by quitting remeron so soon. You should stay on it from a minimum of 6 months to a year, longer if you have been antidepressants, for either anxiety or depression before. If you quit and relapse, you may go thrhough severe depression for a month until you get back on track, Please carefully consider this before deciding to quit. Often relapse does not occur until you have been off medicine for 2-6 weeks.

Please don't taper both at once. Start with Klonapin. I apologize, but I need you to clarify dosage. You write 2 14 per day. I am not sure if that is .25mg twice a day or something else. I will give you a taper schedule once you clarify dosage, for me.