Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Husband, age 80, has complained about pressure in my head

Husband, age 80, has complained about "pressure in my head" for about 8 years. He claims it started after he had hip surgery. In the last two years, it seems to be a constant condition. Last year he had double knee surgery and had a problem with the anesthesia: memory loss of even current events, confusion. He was diagnosed as early Alzheimer symptoms. This condition has continued, and he sleeps a lot, lacks interest in everything, has trouble making decisions. His head pressure is a main complaint. He takes medicines for hypertension, high cholesteral, Alzheimers, coumadin, prostate. Any help wil be appreciated

The fact that you are aware and understanding of his dementia places you ahead on the learning scale. As you know therapy does not work with Alzheimer's, there is one medication that has minimally effective results is slowing progression and improving functioning (again minor not miraculous improvements, Unfortunately, there is not much more than you can do and the deterioration will be slow. But it is one of those situations where you are essentially helpless except for your understanding.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

If there is something specific that I can respond to please ask-sorry I missed the heart of your question. But that is the ood thing aboput JA-to be able to rectifying short comings

Ralph LMHC