Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Hi I have been experience severe agoraphobia, social phobia,

Hi I have been experience severe agoraphobia, social phobia, and depression - I am managing to hold down a job - just but my performance is poor.

I cannot seem to interact physically with people and have great fear tryiong to leave the house to go to shop - yet can drive my car, but stopping for fuel makes me feel sick

I have been prescribed fluoxetine 20 mg daily - now in week 2, and am due to see a counseller soon

Is there anything else I can do to make life normal again - I am 35 years old and this all started about 1 year ago
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Yes , it is good that you have been rightly started on fluoxetine , now , to add more weight to your drug regime with respect to the efficacy control over your symptoms , i would suggest that you ask your doctor to add 1 anti anxiety drug to the regime , such as either klonopin or ativan , starting with low doses and then gradually increasing the dose to the optimum as per the discretion of the doctor.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This is well and good advice, but how do I actually get to leave the house and feel comfortable about it? Dealing with friends and stragers seems to be the same which is not good clearly.

I have been of fluoextine for 1.5 weeks 20 mg daily am, and wondered if this will get better in time

Well, a few weeks time say about 4 - 6 weeks of being on fluoxetine and 1 anti anxiety drug as mentioned above , will reduce your agoraphobia and other anxiety and depressive symptoms , and then you will be able to go out without feeling anxious and fearful , so just have patience and wait for few weeks , for the drugs to start acting to their full potency and control your symptoms.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..