Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

My wife immediately bloats when she eats around me. I know

My wife immediately bloats when she eats around me. I know that this is caused by fear and anxiety. I have 'calmed my personality' over the past few years but nothing seems to help. My wife fears I will 'get angry' over something. We have tried counseling, pills, just about everthing.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well , it seems like that your wife has developed person specific anxiety , the person being you and this explains her bloating while having meals in your presence.

So, i suggest that she needs to be shown to a psychiatrist and evaluated for person specific anxiety and then started on a mix of 1 anti depressant such as effexor xr or paxil cr and 1 anti anxiety drug such as klonopin or ativan . So, this 2 drug combination will most certainly help her to fight this anxiety and relieve her symptoms. Plus , she needs to be started on Cognitive behavioural therapy ( CBT ) which is a type of counseling , offered by a psychiatrist or a psychologist.

So, i suggest that you get her to meet a psychiatrist and discuss the 2 drug and CBT counseling combination with him/ her and get your wife started on this regime and i am quite positive that this will help her to overcome her symptoms.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. We are trying everything possible to put our marriage back together. We both love each other. And, this is my fault. I never hit my wife but brought home a ton of angry rage from my work (investigator), subjecting her these bombasts for years.

She keeps thinking she is 'defective', it is the other way around (:

So, what is required here is that you bring some changes in your and your partner's life by not bringing your work stress at home and also make an extra effort to make your wife feel special about herself and boost her self esteem.

I hope this helps..