Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.
25396616

Is there such a thing as Alcohol induced psychosis I was

Is there such a thing as Alcohol induced psychosis? I was at a friend's party last night and I thought she was flirting with my husband. This really upsets me when I am completely sober, however I had a few drinks at this point. My friend asked me what was wrong and I was honest about what was bothering me. Now my friend, her husband, my husband and another mutual friend are angry with me for ruining New Year's Eve for them. I feel horrible. Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed?
Yes there is, but I seriously doubt you had one. They were likely flirting. People do it all the time. I guess they didn't like you saying anything. If it was harmless, just apologize. Tell them you were a little drunk and overly sensitive. If you ask me, which I guess you did, they are doing a little overreacting. You "ruined their NYE". Give me a break. I think they protest so much. So who cares. Just all chill out and move on. If there is anything to worry about, it will come up again. I have no clue what really happen other than you were not psychotic. Just make peace. I am not sure you were wrong, but this isn't worth a lot of hurt feelings.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think you are right. I just felt a little ganged up on and hurt that my husband called me psychotic as I have gotten upset about this with other friends in a couple of other situations. He thinks there is a pattern here. Maybe not as severe as psychosis but I should watch how much I drink so my judgement doesn't become impaired. This is probably the third time something like this has happened over many years of marriage. Do you think I need help with insecurity issues or just watch my alcohol consumption in groups?
It is hard to tell. I am inclined to think your insecurity need some attention. I doubt if much comes out when drinking that you don't feel. It is not on the same planet as psychosis. Just some insecurity. A litttle couseling may help.
Goodnite,
Ed