Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I have been married for 6 months and my husband says that if

Customer Question

I have been married for 6 months and my husband says that if I don't see a therapist that he wants a divorce. I know I don't need one. We have been having marital problems and have been seeing a counselor for 3 months- it doesn't seem to be working. He blames all our problems on me, and rarely, or soon after, quits taking the advice of the counselor... who is good by the way, doing it for 30 years, P.h.D. and everything. What do I do in this situation. I think he needs anger management. I can't afford to go see a therapist. What do I do in this situation.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
Make a decision. Be the object of his blame for the rest of your life or get out while you are young and have a life. I do promise he won't change. Ask the marriage counselor for honest opinion if you don't believe me. He won't change, and if you do, you likely will lose your self respect. Let him worry about what he needs. I am sure he wouldn't need anything if "it wasn't your fault". You really want to live like this. Imagine this continuing for even 2 years. How depressed and how low will your self esteem be?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I agree