Dr. C
Dr. C, Psychologist
Experience:  Psychologist, 20 years experience.

I am struggling to function after my son of 25 announced that

I am struggling to function after my son of 25 announced that he is bisexual and confused with his sexual preference.He has never displayed any homosexual characteristics,in fact,quite the opposite.I do not have anything against gay people,I am just shocked that my son who has only been in relationships with females,has now announced his attraction to certain males.I need help as how to handle things...for him,myself and the rest of the family.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. C replied 6 years ago.
Hi there. Good for you for looking for help. It is possible that your son has had feelings for men for a much longer time but is only getting comfortable enough now to accept this in himself and share it with you. There are many bisexual or gay people who do not as you put it "display homosexual characteristics." It is also possible, and I have seen this in my practice, that he is in general trying to find his identity and his interest in men may not be all that deep seated. The best thing you can do is accept that he is going through some confusion. He is young and it may take some time for it to become clear to him what direction he will settle on with his sexuality. If you over-react it will not help him find his way.

If you find my answer helpful please press the green accept button.

Thank you.