Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I have told my husband he is verbally abusing me, and I will

I have told my husband he is verbally abusing me, and I will not take it anymore. This month, I have recorded 4 times/instances that he has referred to me as a F------ B----, or B----, or to quit my bi---ing. He orders me around, and complains that our house is dirty. I work full time, as does he. We have four children. To make a long story short, this has been going on forever. He is "great" in the public, and not so great at home. I am so confused about whether or not to stay or leave. I don't know the research on effects on the kids. It is getting to the point that I think it is worse for the children to keep hearing this. I feel trapped, alone, and basically I can't talk to anyone about it because no one will believe me. He tells me he is not abusive. If I would just...blah blah blah, or if I would just do this or that...blah blah blah. It is the same pattern, over and over. I am established professionally and well known in the community, and this really is crazy-making.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 6 years ago.

Verbal abuse can and is often more damaging than physical abuse. You are correct-you cannot hide it from the children and the damage that it does is extremely toxic. If you believe that there is something there that could be salvaged, I would certainly give it a last attempt. If there was no apparent chance for resolution, I would consider a separation. If you do decide to part the means that you use has a huge impact on the children. It is important to keep the boundaries strictly enforced. There are parent things; family things; and children things and they should be kept separated. Best wishes and good luck. Remember to respect yourself and not allow yourself to be abused.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.