Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I lost it with my son,,,,,,,,really hurt him and beat the crap

Customer Question

I lost it with my son,,,,,,,,really hurt him and beat the crap out of him,,,,,,,,,He is 20 and he was in school and was on probation and know is dimissed,,,I lost it and no really did damage to him
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

What you did is unexcusable even though no damage. At minimum he is entitled to an apology and then up to him where to go from there. You might want to wtite him a note expressing your remorse. What more can you add so that I can more completely fufill the question.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Sincere

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, there is damage as I hit him acroos the head and there is a slight bruise and I slapped

him across the back and he has a huge black and blue spot on his back that is ugly......

I have had anger issues before,,,,,,,,,I also said very mean things ,,,called him every name in the book and a looser,,,,,,what complicates things more is my ex wife wont let him see me now,,,,,,,,,

Your ex is certainly appropriate in protecting your son. The only solution that I can see other that separation is for the family to have some familiy therapy sessions where you assure that this will never transpire again. Of course your son's feelings about what he wants should be taken into consideration.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

what can I do to truly stop over reacting like this,,,

I have never ever raise my voice at work but when it come to my kids and actually x wife ,,,,I can loose it,,,,,,,,,,,,verbally and physically.....

I would suggest that you take anger management training-most university hospitals give training in the area. In addition, there are individual therapists that specialize i anger management both with psychotherapy and medication.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC