Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Psychologist
Experience:  19 years conducting therapy; book author; newspaper columnist; former co-host of radio show

Have been to a number of doctors and found they tell me the

Have been to a number of doctors and found they tell me the same thing time after time take a pill, but the feelings always come back feelings of anxiety that someone i love around me is going to die
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 6 years ago.

Yeah, the problem is that the medicine can stabilize your neurochemistry, but it cannot change the core of what is causing the problem. In fact, the most effective treatment for the anxiety and obsessions you mentioned is a combination of medication plus therapy. The pills will help your ship sail straight, but the therapy makes sure that a good wind is blowing into its sails.

Cognitive behavioral therapy will work best if the medicine has calmed your mind. It will then help you to change those repetitive thought patterns by teaching you ways to counteract the negtive/obsessive thoughts and also help you to learn healthier ways of coping (both internally and externally). That way, you have the tools to change any future attacks, or to keep them less intense than what you have experienced to this point. So add a therapist into your treatment this time. I think you will find far superior results.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please hit “ACCEPT” so that I may receive credit. Feedback is also appreciated.

Dr. Steve