Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

My partner has a problem with smoking pot and I hate it, to

My partner has a problem with smoking pot and I hate it, to the point where I get angry and upset every time he goes out t do it. He says he's not addicted, but dosn't want to stop because it makes him happy and dosn't seem to care that it upsets me so much. Any advise for me ot him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

One cannot be physically addicted to pot, but one may certainly psychologically addicted which he sounds to be. It would seem to me if there were a choice between, a girlfriend and the use of pot the decision would be easy. If it is not it would speak to the depth of the potential addiction which should be a teaching instrument for him. I think it is necessary for him to examine what is is going so negatively that he feels compelled to smoke pot. Keep it on the discussion level and avoid argumentation. You may wish to have a few brief couples counseling sessions to work this out.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't want to give him an altermatum because he definately would not respond well to a 'threat'. How can I make him see that it is not a normal thing to take drugs and that he dosn't need to?

A goodly number of productive "normal" regularly people smoke pot with little negative impact. I would discuss not the drug, but how it effects you to the extent it does and therefore the reason that you would like him to stop. You are absolutely correct in avoiding conflict. Is there a compromise possible-at least as a start-that he not be intoxicated while he is around you. Explain what it is the disturbs you. Remember if you talk you cant't be arguing.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have explained how it makes me feel ,that he is hurting himself and that he dosn't need to do it and I care about him and don't want thim to hurt himself. He said 'fair enough' and continued to do it. What a poor response that makes me feel like he dosn't care about my feelings. I asked him what I was supposed to do to stop feeling the way I do, he basically told me to get over it. Do I have the problem? What can I do to get over it?

No you don't have the problem-you have every right to determine that you do not wish to hang with a drug user. There seems to be something wrong with his priorities if he cannot easily choose you over marijuana as he his behavior is saying something.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I want to be with him. How can I 'cope' with him using. I jst don't want to feel angry with him every day.

There is a goodly number of high functioning , non criminal (except for possession) users out there. So this is a pretty contoversial material about the degree of damage from minimal or none to significant.. He can make a rational argument that although in the minority, there are millions of current, consistant smokers. This is in no way a rationalization or justification of the use of cannabis. Best wishes on working it out-you may consider couples counseling.

Sincerely,Ralph LMHC

Sincerely,

Customer/p>