Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Our oldest daughter is demanding that I go to counceling along

Customer Question

Our oldest daughter is demanding that I go to counceling along with my husband. He is undergoing chemo for colon cancer and his company has taken a turn for the worst and may become extinct. They have no sales 1st quarter of this year. She has set up a conference call on Sunday to see if we can meet her demands. How to I approach her.....she suffers from Depression and so does he.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Hello.

I believe that I addresssed a similar question before. It is gratifying that your daughter cares, but she has no right to demand marital counseling and if done as a result of cohersion -has little chance for success. It is fine to make the suggestion, but you have to keave it it there-no threats or force, etc. Best wishes and good luck You can set up some ground rules re: yelling, screaming and verbal or physical abuse.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do we agree to this conference call?

I agree that it could help. But it should be by agreement not by force. In addition do not expect the result of family therapy to be miraculous.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC